Clients & Purchasers
By ‘Clients & Purchasers’ we mean organisations who move goods by rail; either the end user themselves, or logistics companies acting on behalf of one or a number of end users.
We tend to work in one of three situations:
Sometimes Clients are considering the viability of a establishing a new rail flow but realise that they could benefit from some expert advice. We have helped in the following ways:
- Provided indicative costings to support the development of a business case;
- Provided logistical advice on rolling stock and terminal capability;
- Provided operational advice on route availability, train length and turn around time;
- Undertaken reviews for suitable property.
We support the Client’s procurement team in procuring, or re-procuring, rail haulage. We have helped in the following ways:
- Written tender specifications;
- Advised on contract scope, length and the basis of procurement (i.e: £/T, £/m3);
- Advised on the provision or inclusion of ancillary services such as loading/unloading, rolling stock management and road haulage;
- Evaluated tenders;
- Supported final negotiations;
- Advise on the procurement and/or specification of rolling stock.
We have provided project management support to ensure that the gap between haulage contract award and contract commencement is successfully completed. This may involve the purchase of new capital assets or the establishment of new logistical arrangements.
We are increasingly being asked to act as an Expert Witness for rail freight Clients involved in planning inquiries or in petitioning for and against major projects. Our work in this area includes working on two major terminal developments in inner London and petitioning to the House of Lords around HS2.