Managing the regulation of the Heathrow rail spur: developing track access charges and contracts and undertaking organisational change.
Heathrow Airport Limited (HAL) is the owner of the rail spur into the airport from the Great Western mainline. It also operates the Heathrow express train service to the airport from Paddington station. In 2018 Crossrail trains will commence running to the airport and to enable this HAL have given an undertaking to become a ‘regulated railway’.
Railfreight Consulting have experience in the development and management of track access contract and so HAL have asked have us to manage this process on their behalf. We delivered:
- A Network Statement including:
- A suite of track access charges;
- A description of the infrastructure;
- Details of the capacity allocation process;
- Track access contracts with existing and new TOCs;
- Management and financial separation of the train operation and infrastructure management.
In delivering this we worked closely with staff from HAL, Heathrow Express and the Office of Rail Regulation (ORR).